Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A Different Light

We were all just standing there, my watch beeping as nothing happened. For a moment, we stood and stared off in the distance, but nothing changed. The sun must rise very slowly I thought to myself. As we made out way back up the shore, someone looked back and there it was. The sun, glistening with more crimson than I had ever seen, was rising and piercing the distant clouds. We all watch admiring it. It was incredible. The sun was rising so quickly and changing color from red to the yellow tint we're used to faster than I could have imagined. We could actually notice the sun moving and changing colors. I couldn't believe it.


Last night after a rough Gears of War session, Connor, Joe, Emily and myself went to Applebees for our typical college outing. After some honey bbq boneless wings, we decided to go play some throwback video games at Emily's place. We setup Emily's dreamcast and played Soul Caliber. Something about retro games is just awesome. They were so simply yet so good. Before we knew it, 3 am came around. Then, we decided we wanted to see the sun rise. Not so typical, eh? After the 4 of us lay in Emilys bed until 6 am, we set out for Smith's Point Beach. The spring weather of yesterday had finally subsided and winter came back into full swing. It was 29 degrees and windy. In Emily's car I had to put on her extra sweatshirt underneath my already thick coat. After exploring my iPod on the 25 minute drive, we arrived at the beach. The sky was still deep indigo with a fade to grapefruit-red near the sun's rising point. The sun rose, and it was more beautiful than one could imagine. As we get older, the natural word begins to feel mundane but it never should. The world is so beautiful and people shouldn't lose touch with it. Before everything, there was earth and all that exists came from it. It's so simple and beautiful and that is why we must love it. Even things so simple as the sunrise are so elegant. All we have to do is really look. Instead of just seeing, we must look and love the world around us. Good morning earth.

After the beach, we picked up blueberries from the local super market and made blueberry and chocolate pancakes. We feasted! At this point, the weight of my eyes really settled in. We moved up to Emily's room and passed out in her bed around 9 am. When I woke up, it was 4:30 pm! I had slept the entire day away! But hey, what can you expect after being up all night? We all talked for a while, and I dropped Connor and Joe off at their homes as I made my way back to my home. What was the first thing I did when I got home? Brushed my teeth and got my running gear on. I had a great night with great friends, but it was time to hop back on the pony and hit the streets. With my Sayville Run the the Brewery shirt on, I trotted through Farmingville in the night for an easy 4 miles in 28:52. Resting up because tomorrow is going to be a long day.   This past week has been absolutely awesome. Good friends, good running, good eating, good adventure, and good sleep. What else can a man ask for? After my run, stretched, did my typical core and pushups, and showered. Mom picked up chinese food tonight so I ate spare ribs and rice. Now, in 20 minuets or so, I'll be going out again to Ringo's for Starwars with the guys. Life is good.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great day. I get to see the sunrise from a peek in the rearview mirror in my car heading to work most days. Enjoy those late nights, brilliant sunrises, and the sweet taste of those pancakes. Simple pleasures never get old.....

    ReplyDelete