Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Jack Frost

So, here goes my first post.

Today has been a slow day, just how I like it. Gavin stayed at my house where we cuddled hardcore(but not really). We finally got out of bed somewhere a little after 10 am. When we decided on eggs, we also agreed that Gavin would cook them. I really should start doing my own cooking. I wouldn't even know how to make scrambled eggs if I was on my own. I guess that's what you get for being spoiled by mommy. Between Gavin's own scrambled eggs, toast, yogurt, and quality OJ, it was a solid breakfast. Good eating.

After almost losing my soul to Skyrim, we set out for Connetquot State Park to get our miles in. Upon walking out my door the cold hit our legs hard. It was clearly frigid even relative to yesterday. We would surely be keeping our tights on in the 22 degree morning air. On the way, we got to test out my new car deck with my brothers iPod. It was a nice change of pace to listen to something other than Dance Gavin Dance, August Burns Red, or Moneen. We parked on the Vets Highway entrance and I put my car key in my tights' back pocket. I tend to check on the run that my key is still closely hugging my cheeks. My posterior cheeks, that is. We walked through the gate, and set off at the tree. As the temperature drops, the ground hardens. It's nice to have some firm trails as it really helps get into the rhythm. As the run went on, yesterday's double began to set in. My quads really didn't have as much lift as I would have expect and the good ol' hammys were a little sore. It was obvious yesterday's 11 mile double(7 am @ 6:59 trails, 4 pm @ 7:10 streets) had taken a toll. Today we were more quiet probably due to our heightened fatigue. Even though we were quieter, "Jack Frost is nippin' at me ears!". Today we both had hats luckily, but I forgot my gloves. At any rate, both Gavin and I were definitely feeling yesterdays double. Our splits were much slower than yesterday by 20 seconds. We really needed a recovery day though. 7 miles at 7:20 in the books. We decided since we needed recovery, today we wouldn't double.

Recovery is really important to be done right. In my high school track career, I always ran pretty quick on my recovery days. In spring of my senior year most "recovery" days or distance run days between harder sessions were at an average of sub 7. Many running magazines often emphasize recovery as a slow, conversational pace. However, contrary to what these experts say, I disagree to some extent. As a good friend, Kevin, said some time ago, "Maintenance(Recovery) miles should still be miles. You shouldn't be feeling as fresh as you were when you started. If you feel fresh, you just got some garbage miles". When I first started running in 10th grade with my blazing fast 6:45 1600, Kevin was a mentor to me. I ran almost everyday with him that whole summer and I attribute much of not only my approach to running, but my approach to life to him. However I digress, recovery miles shouldn't be garbage miles. You should be giving a slight effort yet focus on feeling good. It's not a jog; it's an easy run. My faster distance runs tend to be from 6:20 to 7:00 average depending on terrain, weather, temperature, and company. However, today we averaged 7:20 on the same loop we did yesterday. Getting these numerical stats from your runs can be very helpful, but there's nothing more important than how you feel. Your body is the ultimate training feedback. If you need to take it slower, do so. You shouldn't be jogging though. Simply put, you should still be gaining some fitness from recovery miles.

After driving back to Gavin's house I finally began to feel my hands again. I really should just keep gloves in my car. After rope stretching, some quality Frosted Mini Wheats, and a warm shower I began settle down and relax. It wasn't our best run, but it felt right and it's nice to be back in the warmth of a pellet stove.

Yesterday, we talked about Bruce's(Gavin's dad) Swedish meatballs. Bruce left them on the crock-pot since this morning. After we got back from Sayville Running Company and Starbucks, we chowed down. By combining the meatballs, pasta, and peas into one bowl, we had created the ultimate conglomeration of hunger satisfaction. I haven't eaten so much for quite some time. I'm still stuffed 3 hours later and let me tell you, this boy can eat. Good eating, good running, and good friends makes for a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment