Monday, January 9, 2012

So...the weather?

Yesterday morning I decided not to treat the Hecksher 5k as a race. Before I start racing, I want to get my mileage up as well as get some quality workouts in. Instead, I cut 20 seconds every mile just to start feeling good running faster than I have been this past week. I felt really fresh afterwards which I was pretty please. It was an absolutely beautiful day. The air was crisp, the skies were clear, and it was 48 degrees with little wind.  I ran in my red puma shorts, my standard blue hat, and my black yin-yang long-sleeve shirt.





Today was another good running day. After coming home from a late night out, I slept in until 11 today. Some people can sleep an entire day away, but I always feel so useless doing that. Instead of wasting my time sleeping, I did my laundry and started reading The Hobbit. So far it's a pretty good book! At around 2 pm, I set out for the daily run. Again, the weather was lovely. Clear skies, low wind, and warm. I wore my blue Nike shorts, t-shirt with a SWR Turkey Trot long-sleeve layered, navy Nike hat, Brooks' Ghost 4s, and my favorite Pearl Izumi gloves. Before I set out, I left the gloves near my driveway. Jack Frost told me I wouldn't be needing them. So, I set out for an easy 8 miles. Today, I would be exploring and trying to create a new route. There's two street routes I usually take. One of them is an 8 mile out and back from my house to Patchogue-Holbrook road. The other is another out and back from my house to Regal Cinemas. Today, I almost took the Patchogue-Holbrook route. As I passed the Holtsville Fire Department the sign read 38 degrees. I thought to myself "warmest 38 degrees I've ever felt". Then, on a whim, I took a right on Long Island Avenue. About a mile or so down, I found myself at Patchogue-Holbrook road and eventually it took me out near my other out and back route on Portion! I just made a loop! No more out and backs! Smooth, downhill sailing all the way back home. It ended up being 8.31m+/-.1 in 57:31. Feeling pleased with feeling good, I strided, stretched, and did easy core and pushups. I decided to add these after every run. After showering I sat down for some mama's own cooking. Tonight, she used a new chicken recipe, string beans, and mashed potatoes. Yum yums indeed.


On another note, a documentary should be coming out pretty soon called  Iten - The Town of Red Dust about a Kenyan town of 4,000 which has put out more professional distance runners than any other place in the world by an enormous margin. Props to Ryan Duffy for finding it. I'm pretty excited to see it. Hopefully it'll be finished in the near future.

Two weeks until I start spring semester, but for now I'm kicking back and living the life. Time to relax, do some reading, and hope a social life calls for me. If not, I'll be getting lost in The Hobbit. Bon Voyage!

No comments:

Post a Comment